Impact of Research on Policy
- Provided a significant component of the scientific impetus for establishment of Dugong Sanctuary in Torres Strait in 1986 and community-based Dugong and Turtle Management Plans in 2008.
- Provided scientific basis for dugong management in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park since mid 1970s especially Dugong Protected Areas in 1997, no-take areas to protect dugongs in various zoning plans from 1983 to 2003.
- Briefed the Global Oceans Conference on Oceans and Coasts UNESCO Paris 2001 on ‘Challenge of Conserving Marine Mammals’ in preparation for the 2002 World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg.
- Member of the committee that designed the biophysical operating principles for the rezoning of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park in 2003.
- Provided science base for establishment of Ministerial Taskforce to ‘Investigate the Sustainability of Indigenous Hunting of Dugongs and Turtles’ in 2003 which subsequently led to the policy of ‘Sustainable harvest of marine turtles and dugongs in Australia - A national partnership approach 2005’ and NAILSMA NHT Dugong and Turtle project.
- Provided science base for $1.7 million ‘Back on Track’ Program Queensland EPA 2005-
- Provided science base for review of the global status of the dugong by IUCN in 2006.
- Provided science base for development of Dugong MOU under International Convention for Migratory Species from 2005-2007.