International and Cross-Cultural Research Links
- Worked with Indigenous communities in Northern Australia including Torres Strait on traditional harvest of dugongs and turtles since 1970s.
- Sponsored to attend marine mammal workshops in Canada, Indonesia, Japan (five times), Malaysia, Papua New Guinea (twice), Philippines (three times), Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Netherlands, United Arab Emirates and the United States (six times).
- Plenary speaker at scientific meetings in the United States (twoce), Philippines, Malaysia and Japan (twice).
- Consultant to assess the status of sirenians (dugongs and manatees) in various countries including India, Japan, Malaysia, New Caledonia, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates as well as in the Northern Territory, Queensland, and Western Australia.
- Technical Advisor Dugong MOU Convention on Migratory Species.